CHE111 – Gen College Chem I/Lab: SC1Credits: 5
Focuses on basic chemistry and measurement, matter, chemical formulas, reactions and equations, stoichiometry, and thermochemistry. This course covers the development of atomic theory culminating in the use of quantum numbers to determine electron configurations of atoms, and the relationship of electron configuration to chemical bond theory and molecular orbital theory. The course includes gases, liquids, and solids and problem-solving skills are emphasized through laboratory experiments.~~This course is one of the Statewide Guaranteed Transfer courses. GT-SC1
Home College Offerings : ACC, CCA, CCD, CNCC, DCC, FRCC, LCC, MCC, NJC, OJC, PCC, PPCC, RRCC, TSJC
Course Sessions and Academic Dates
- Summer – Summer Semester (10-week) – Classes Begin – 06/01/2020
- Summer – Summer Semester (10-week) – Last Day to Add – 06/02/2020
- Summer – Summer Semester (10-week) – Last Day to Drop – 06/11/2020
- Summer – Summer Semester (10-week) – Last Day to Withdraw – 07/27/2020
- Summer – Summer Semester (10-week) – Last Day of Class – 08/08/2020
- Spring – Late Start Courses (10-week) – Last Day of Class – 05/08/2021
- Fall – Full Semester (15-week) – Classes Begin – 08/31/2020
- Fall – Full Semester (15-week) – Last Day to Add – 09/02/2020
- Fall – Full Semester (15-week) – Last Day to Drop – 09/15/2020
- Fall – Full Semester (15-week) – Last Day to Withdraw – 11/23/2020
- Fall – Full Semester (15-week) – Last Day of Class – 12/12/2020
- Fall – Late Start Courses (10-week) – Classes Begin – 10/05/2020
- Fall – Late Start Courses (10-week) – Last Day to Add – 10/06/2020
- Fall – Late Start Courses (10-week) – Last Day to Drop – 10/15/2020
- Fall – Late Start Courses (10-week) – Last Day to Withdraw – 11/30/2020
- Fall – Late Start Courses (10-week) – Last Day of Class – 12/12/2020
Important NOTES pertaining to this courseIt is important that you view ALL notes pertaining to your course.
You are enrolled in a CCCOnline chemistry course that will have several required remote proctored assessments. We are pleased to announce a partnership with Examity, a recognized leader in remote test proctoring. This relationship offers you a secure and convenient way to take your exams online.
Examity is integrated with Daylight/D2L. You can access Examity directly from Desire2Learn without the hassle of another username and password. It also means that before you use Examity for the first time, all pertinent information will be imported into the system for you, including the classes you are enrolled in.Examity is free to use. You will be able to enjoy the convenience of remote proctoring at no cost to you. Examity will be available for you to use on the first day of the course. During the first week of class, you will be asked to set up your profile. CCCOnline will provide detailed instructions and the tools you need to get familiar with the service once classes begin. You will need a webcam and computer microphone to use Examity. We know this service will make your education experience even better, and we are very excited to roll it out to you!
Lab Kit Information: This course requires a lab kit. The lab kit fee is included in your tuition and fees, and the lab kit will be ordered after class begins. For additional information on lab kits, including how to order your kit, please see the Lab Kit FAQ: https://www.ccconline.org/lab-kit-faq/.
This course is not designed to be self-paced. Within the schedule of the course, though, you have great flexibility with your study/work time. For the most part, the course is organized according to the week of the semester. Readings, assignments/homework and labs are spread throughout the course, and they have specific deadlines; you must submit each assignment before its deadline expires. Late assignments will not be accepted without prior approval. No matter if you are taking the 15 week or 10 week session, the amount of material covered and all course activities will be the same.
Please remember, due to the nature of an online course, it is the student’s responsibility to have access to a functioning computer in order to complete the coursework.
Therese Fukuda, CCCOnline Physical Sciences Program Chair
Please view Notes from the Department Chair and Field Trip/Field Work to see if there are additional requirements for this course.
This online course has the same prerequisite requirements as the on-campus course. Please check your home college catalog or schedule for specific prerequisite information.