PHY211 – Physics Calc-Based I/Lab: SC1Credits: 5
Explores the physical world through reasoning, mathematics and experimentation. Covers kinematics, force, gravity, energy, momentum, torque, rotational dynamics, and fluids, and may include thermodynamics. The concepts and theories presented in class are explored through demonstrations and hands-on experiments. This first semester calculus-based physics course is recommended for students entering engineering or one of the advanced sciences.~~This course is one of the Statewide Guaranteed Transfer courses. GT-SC1
Course Sessions and Academic Dates
- Summer – Summer Semester (10-week) – Classes Begin – 06/01/2020
- Summer – Summer Semester (10-week) – Last Day to Add – 06/02/2020
- Summer – Summer Semester (10-week) – Last Day to Drop – 06/11/2020
- Summer – Summer Semester (10-week) – Last Day to Withdraw – 07/27/2020
- Summer – Summer Semester (10-week) – Last Day of Class – 08/08/2020
- Fall – Full Semester (15-week) – Classes Begin – 09/03/2019
- Fall – Full Semester (15-week) – Last Day to Add – 09/05/2019
- Fall – Full Semester (15-week) – Last Day to Drop – 09/18/2019
- Fall – Full Semester (15-week) – Last Day to Withdraw – 11/25/2019
- Fall – Full Semester (15-week) – Last Day of Class – 12/14/2019
- Spring – Full Semester (15-week) – Classes Begin – 01/27/2020
- Spring – Full Semester (15-week) – Last Day to Add – 01/29/2020
- Spring – Full Semester (15-week) – Last Day to Drop – 02/11/2020
- Spring – Full Semester (15-week) – Last Day to Withdraw – 04/20/2020
- Spring – Full Semester (15-week) – Last Day of Class – 05/09/2020
Important NOTES pertaining to this courseIt is important that you view ALL notes pertaining to your course.
As the CCCOnline Physical Science Program Chair, I am pleased to announce that for the Summer 2019 semester you will be taking our newly redeveloped PHY211 Physics Calc-Based I/Lab: SC1 course. We have moved to the latest 11th edition of the Fundamentals of Physics by David Halliday. This course makes use of WileyPLUS, which employs an interactive eText and resources that range from video mini lectures, video sample problems, physics demonstration videos, physics concept simulations to an Adaptive Learning tool.
In order to better prepare our students for quizzes and exams, we have added to this course more formative micro-assessments and knowledge checks. These will ensure that students have the needed tools to succeed and earn higher scores on their assessments.
Along with the resources of WileyPLUS, CCCOnline also offers free online tutoring service from Brainfuse. Students can also make use of our CCCOnline Library, where you can contact our online librarian and ask questions about citations, resources, etc.
This course also requires a lab kit (more information below), which you receive after the drop date for the semester (more information is below). You will be able to perform these engaging labs in the comfort of your own home.
Please note that this is a 5-credit course. For a 15 week session, you’ll spend at minimum 14.5 hours per week on assignments. For a 10-week session, plan on a minimum of 21.5 hours per week. Check here if an online course is the best fit for your learning style.
LAB KIT INFORMATION:
This course requires a lab kit. The lab kit fee is included in your tuition and fees, and the lab kit will be ordered after class begins. For additional information on lab kits, including how to order your kit, please see the Lab Kit FAQ: http://www.ccconline.org/lab-kit-faq/
This course is not designed to be self-paced. Within the schedule of the course, though, you have great flexibility with your study/work time. For the most part, the course is organized according to the week of the semester. Readings, assignments/homework and labs are spread throughout the course, and they have specific deadlines; you must submit each assignment before its deadline expires. Late assignments will not be accepted without prior approval. No matter if you are taking the 15 week or 10 week session, the amount of material covered and all course activities will be the same.
Please note: due to the nature of an online course, it is the student’s responsibility to have access to a functioning computer in order to complete the coursework.
We at CCCOnline are excited for the opportunity to have you in our course. Please contact me if you have any additional questions.
CCCOnline Program Chair of Physical Sciences
Please view Notes from the Department Chair and Field Trip/Field Work to see if there are additional requirements for this course.
This online course has the same prerequisite requirements as the on-campus course. Please check your home college catalog or schedule for specific prerequisite information.