Grades: Incomplete Policy
What is an Incomplete Grade?
The “Incomplete” grade is a temporary grade, agreed upon by the instructor, indicating that the student has a satisfactory record of work completed but, for exceptional reasons, was unable to complete the final assignments. It is designed for students who, because of documented illness or circumstances beyond their control, are unable to complete their course work within the semester but have completed a majority of the course work (75-85% of the course assignments and tests) in a satisfactory manner (C grade or better). The student is responsible for initiating the request for an “Incomplete” grade from the instructor.
When to Request an Incomplete Grade:
If circumstances beyond your control at or near the end of the semester would prevent you from completing the course, consult your instructor immediately. The instructor will determine whether you have a reasonable chance of satisfactorily completing the remaining activities.
How to Request an Incomplete Grade:
In requesting an “Incomplete” grade, the student should email the instructor the following information for evaluation:
- Documentation of Circumstances: Evidence of completion of 75-85% of the semester course work at a C-level or higher.
- Completion of a work plan (contract) that includes what and how assignments and tests will be submitted to complete the course.
- The time period in which the work must be completed, not to exceed 15 weeks from the end of the CCCOnline semester.
- The grade to be assigned if the work is not completed.
- Both the instructor and the student must acknowledge this written email and keep a copy of the acknowledgment as documentation.
NOTE: You are encouraged to let the instructor know as soon as possible if you are having difficulties with any part of the course. However, Incomplete grades are granted at the discretion of the instructor and are not automatic. At no time will the “Incomplete” grade be used as entrance into another current or future course section for completion of the work. In the unlikely event that you and the instructor cannot reach a resolution on granting an Incomplete, please contact the Academic Dean.